NLJ you've inspired me!
Amanda is for my maternal great-grandmother, Julia Amanda.
My other maternal great-grandmother, Mary Julia (shouldn't I have been named Julia?), used to sing for the king and queen of Germany before heading for America. She was only in her teens - very cool, no?
They almost named me Amanda Lynn until they said it fast. Personally, I think it would have been rather appropriate to name me after a musical instrument!
I play five musical instruments well, but know how to play a little of five others.
My favorite chords are Dbmaj9 and Gbmin7.
I love theatre and dance, too. I was even a cheerleader.
Yes, I know I don't seem the type.
I like to dance so much, I actually still do the Grind workout tapes.
Stop laughing. (However, I do think that Eric Nies is an overgrown meathead with no rhythm whatsoever.)
I was conceived in Cleveland (or maybe LaCrosse) during a road trip to Pittsburg, PA, where my dad lived in junior high. They had tried for a baby for 3 years and had just decided to adopt when Mom started getting sick...
This is something I never needed to know. Thanks Dad.
I could have had my BA in music for free, but now I've gone to six colleges and still don't have one.
I have never left the Midwest except for two trips to Florida.
But I'm goin' to San Diego next month to visit my sistah!
If it kills me. (It might.)
I still wonder how my life would be if I'd have moved to NYC.
Same goes for Seattle.
Next on the itinerary are Italy and Boston.
I also despise bad grammar...and I'm claustrophobic.
There are days I think I could move into a tent on a riverbank and live there happily for the rest of my life, as long as I could see the stars at night, listen to the water, and have something to write in. A piano would be nice. Emma could come along.
I often pause during my day, close my eyes and say to myself, "May I be awake in this moment just as it is."
In fact, sometimes I put my hands over my stomach and tell myself that my children are already here. I tell them I can't wait to meet them.
That felt really self-expository.
My fridge is plastered with self-made quotation magnets, the "Healing Words" set of Magnetic Poetry, and pictures by my godkids! My favorite line of random words reads, "be_still_and_know_a_whole_aware_strong_heart"
I have cheated death thrice. I'm still pretty scared of large bodies of water. Carbon monoxide poisoning sucks. Helicopter rides suck worse.
There are two moments in my life that I count as "bests." One was my first standing ovation. Two was when Derek said he loved my smile.
I still think about being a doctor. Or a pharmacist. Or a physical therapist. Or a nurse-midwife. I could happily teach anatomy & physiology for the rest of my life.
I always wanted to teach Spanish - or any foreign language for that matter!
I can read and sing in six languages.
But in German, Latin, and French, I rarely know what I'm saying.
I have worked as a day care provider, in fine collectable retail, as a pharmacy tech, a nanny, a tour guide, a telecounselor, a nursing assistant, a chef, and as an EMT.
Speaking of chef work, I could also own un ristorante! The more exotic, creative, and elegant, the better!
Maybe I'll just drive ambulances forever. I think that makes me sad.
I put garlic and red pepper in everything. I could dip anything in honey mustard. Artisan breads, granolas and trail mixes...mmmmmm.
Feed me mushrooms or cilantro and you'll be sorry.
I also slice the frosting off of everything. Mom says I've done this since I was a toddler.
In my life, collectively, I've lost 237 pounds.
I love my humongous family - all 7 aunts, 10 uncles, 17 cousins, and [something like] 60 second cousins. Love them in all their dysfunctional, loving glory.
My sister says on her page that my life "resembles what true courage and determination are about"...and I thought she was nuts. Maybe I don't tell my siblings often enough how I really feel about them.
You're both kinda incredible.
And I am one of the most tenacious people I know.
lol. < Honestly, at points, I laughed out loud!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this, Mandy! Very cool to get to know more about those we love and care about...
~Nate
That was awesome...how did you do that and think of all that? I want to do one! haha - Chels
ReplyDeleteThat was kind of you to mention that I inspired you and for that I'm glad - It was so fun to read. I appreciate knowing more about you!
ReplyDelete