I know I'm posting backwards. I have "God never stops speaking" parts 1 & 2 written in my head, but tonight I encountered part 3...
I had felt a cold coming on all during my shift tonight. (I love airplanes...) I stopped at the 24-hr Walgreens on the way home to pick up some medicine, knowing that by morning this stinging feeling in the back of my throat will be full-blown head congestion and an inability to swallow.
As I was perusing the hundreds of choices to find the one formula that always works for me, I heard a cheerful voice in conversation behind me. I think the most friendly pharmacist in the world works the overnight shift at the White Bear Township Walgreens! As I listened to her help two other customers, I had this exact thought:
"Lord, I wish she would come offer to help me; maybe I could ask her about pharmacy school." Followed immediately by, "[Inner laughter] Do You ever tire of my crazy - selfish? - thoughts and pleas? Not only do I already know exactly what I'm looking for, I feel crappy, it's late, I'm tired, she's tired..."
He doesn't find me crazy, selfish, or unanswerable. Sandy came over to assist, and after discussing the pros and cons of acetaminophen vs. ibuprofen, I asked her where she went to school. Which led into an extended conversation about schools, professors, admissions, career shortages, and how my current career will actually help me gain admission to a program. Her departing admonition was, "Don't be discouraged!"
I really don't know why I continue to be surprised when a prayer is answered. I really don't know why, when I hold myself to constant awareness of Opportunity, I continue to be overwhelmed when hope proves worth it.
And so, I lie down to sleep tonight with medicines to ease my head, a smile on my face, and reassurance in my heart. Now, I only wish I had been thoughtful enough to ask her if she knew of any secret remedies for tortuous sunburn itch...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.