---
Q: What is the "Western Style Problem" that your friend Ting expresses in the chapter "Marriage and Women"? Do you think marriage is more beneficial to men or women?
A: This is not my opinion, but a fact backed up by every conceivable study: Marriage is far, far more beneficial to men than women. Married men perform far better in life than single men, and are happier than single men, and live longer than single men, and earn more money than single men. Married women, on the other hand, make less money than single women, suffer more from depression than single women, don't live as long as single women, and are more likely to be the victims of violence than single women. This has always been the case, which does fly in the face of the mythology and romanticizing of marriage that is epidemic in our culture. The "Western Style Problem" my friend Ting in Laos describes is the moment that women start deciding that they might want to delay or even defer marriage -understandable, given the facts-which tends to throw a wrench in the workings of traditional family structure. Social conservatives lament this, but maybe the bigger question needs to be, "How can we create family and marriage structures where women don't lose so big?" Maybe if that were the question being confronted, more women might be interested in embracing marriage again.
---
This waiting and expectation for a partner has been my singular focus for twenty years now, to the exclusion of practically all other desires. Perhaps I can now say, despite all former assumptions, that I have wanted to be alone these last four years. There is certainly a place in me which fiercely refuses to ever be a grown man's caretaker again, or to ever again be anyone's sacrificial lamb. I have begun to wonder, what if I took it off the table? If I don't have children - something that feels, these days, a likely reality - what would I do with my life? If I never remarry - could that be okay? It is terrifying to bring these thoughts to consciousness, for to my broken heart, they mean never being desired, chosen, or provided for - every woman's greatest fear and deepest wound. Is it possible, even, to love freely without being taken from? To give without losing?
And yet...I have unearthed a glimmer of excitement (which I will admit, still scares me in its novelty) given to me by this long time alone - and now also by a well-written and throughly-researched book - what new paths might there be for me? What could this newly-considered life lead to?
Wow...This is pretty deep! I like that and respect the nature of your thinking. I think I can answer two of your questions. Can we love without losing or be loved without giving or being taken from? My opinion is no! I believe love is not free and true love is long suffering. If I loved someone it would not matter what they can give or not take from me because the mind set should already be (it is already ours). One of the biggest lies that society tells us is don't lose yourself in a relationship. But if being ones self was so perfect why would you want change? That wouldn't matter (self that is) because when you enter into mutual love there is no longer self but selflessness. Most of the problems with people our age is not necessarily finding a life long mate. It is more of a question of losing the idea of "SELF". Just my thought on this very sensitive matter.
ReplyDelete~MATT