It made me remember standing in la cucina with Nadia and Jillian on Via Cavour, pointing out the different items around the room as Jillian and I stated the English for Nadia to repeat, and then mimicked her proffered Italian word for the same item. What a fantastic giggle-fest of a learning experience.
| Jillian and Nadia in la cucina. What's the Italian for popcorn again? |
It made me remember that most luscious dinner at Le Caseline (little houses?), the bed and breakfast of sorts in the country north of Rome. I just looked back to see if I'd ever blogged about that fantastic meal and I'm not sure I ever did. It must have been a seven-course meal - at least! It's been nearly five years but let's see what I can remember...
| My 18th century stone "cabin" at Le Caseline - mine was the window closest to the camera. |
| Hillside view from my window. Stunning. |
We start with antipasti ("before the meal"), or the appetizers. Sooo many courses - I'd say at least five - but the one that stands out to me is the wedge of hard, aged cheese on crostini with a drizzle of honey mustard. That and the duck tartare, seared to cool red perfection. I believe I also ate bufala during this course.
The next course is the primo piatto (first plate), which is usually zuppa (soup) or pasta. Mine was homemade egg pasta, a combination of sorts between cavatappi (corkscrews) and gemelli (twins). I can't remember what type of sauce made it so phenomenal because the pasta itself was so delicious and fascinating.
The meat course, or the main course, is called secondo piatto (second plate). I chose the agnello (lamb) and it may have been the most delicious piece of meat I've ever eaten. Seared to crisp perfection, tender, juicy...just amazing.
Along with the secondo piatto, or between the two courses, are contorni - side dishes. Commonly they're verdure (vegetables) or insalata (salad). I honestly don't remember what I ate, there was so much!
Finalmente, le dolce (sweets) - dessert! Panna cotta (cooked cream) with native wildberries and fresh peaches.
![]() |
| Drool. |
I had a real cappuccino upon awakening the next morning - Americans don't know how to make these either! I miss this kind of real food if you will, and how even if we find it in America we don't sit and truly enjoy it, lingering, savoring. Each course accompanied by its own wine or a digestivo - the post-dinner cocktail to sip as your dinner digests and you visit some more. Maybe before you go for your evening walk to grab a gelato.
| Nadia's cono di gelato - con panna! |
| Happy gelato indulgers! |
Enjoy reading about Italy's culinary delights - and in such a passionate language. *sigh*

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.