Sunday, March 18, 2012

A few good days

I had a great, let's-hang-out-and-do-absolutely-nothing-important day with Kim on Friday.  We wound up doing our morning workouts separately thanks to my appointments and a last minute work crisis for her, but we met up for lunch...

Early happy hour!

...dropped friends off at the airport, hit up Trader Joe's, and rejoined for a delicious dinner before I left for work.  It was a long night but a good one, and I napped a little afterwards before driving up to Pine City for the day.  I wasn't eager to repeat last year's first attempt to go out on St. Patrick's day so leaving town was fine with me!  I was also anxious to see my Emma girl after my friend Jean lost her dear Bentley a couple Tuesdays ago.

"Big B," also known as "Baby Boy." I miss him :-(

I dressed for a run before I left home, got into town, and measured out 10K in my car before pulling into my parents' house.  Emma had something to say about me leaving right away, but my head game was so positive and perfect that I didn't even feel bad as I took off.  Despite a 9-minute, belly-cramp induced walk break at 2.5 miles, it was great!  I found myself meditating on the word home as I ran down the highway and then the dirt roads, soaking up the breezy, warm sunshine and getting some much-needed color on my face and pale legs. 

I got home to dinner: chicken, potatoes, green beans, strawberries.  Such a simple meal but so nummy & nourishing after a long run and eating nothing but crap the last few days.  I painted my toenails a happy, bright turquoise and then caught up with my brother about band tours, fitness training, and amazing new tattoos.


New forearm ink, waiting to be filled in.



Trent and I listened to some new tunes before I trimmed up Miss Emma's toenails - a daunting task that only her mom is allowed to do.  She forgave me when Mom and I took her out for another mile walk.  And gave her a treat.  Or three.





I got home late, took the meds for my neck and crashed for 9 hours.  I woke up today to wide open windows, temps in the 70s and tons of sunshine.  I feel like a new person again, and I had the thought when I woke up that I was so ready to be happy today.  That may sound weird, but for me, sometimes, the prospect of a happy day when I wake up is hard to come by, and this simple thought felt like the biggest joy in the world this morning.  I strive to not miss an opportunity to appreciate it.

Sometimes I'm so glad just to have a day to clean things up around here, so I swept, mopped, and vacuumed - even under the furniture. (It's amazing what gets stuck under there. Wow.)  I made a blueberry yogurt cake that cooked while I did my laundry.

Blueberry yogurt pound cake with lemon glaze.  Num!

I left the door to my apartment open all day so the wind could clear out the winter staleness and let my home be filled with the aroma of spring, baking, and apple blossom candles. I did all this and my neck offered only an occasional dull ache.  What a welcome relief!

I've just finished nearly everything on my to-do list, and I'm debating at the moment whether to tackle my recertification paperwork or do a little yoga before work.  I think a little yoga might be in order for those tight post-run legs.  I'll hope to get the paperwork done tonight.

I also realized that today marks 5 months until my first half-marathon.  Good thing I'm loving the running these days; I'm oh so grateful for this gorgeous early spring.

All of this seems kind of silly to post, but I've documented enough sad days on this blog.  It felt important to document a few really good ones.

5 comments:

  1. Happiness is so deserving of a post! I'm glad Emma got 3 treats, sometimes you just have to indulge them because it's gone way too soon. Have a great night lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! The pictures are a great addition! Here's to many happy days to come! You should share the recipe to the delicious looking cake to!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Amanda! It's not often enough that people stop to appreciate how good even a simple day can be. It's a good reminder to cherish each and everyday for it's blessings. And way to go on the run!!! -Joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! So glad you've had some happy days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I think you're also in a place where you can embrace the happiness, especially with as difficult as some of the others have been lately. I'm glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.