Wednesday, September 12, 2012

You are everywhere

It's been a familiar journey through grieving you.  I was sorting through my bookshelf last month in preparation for a garage sale, and I noticed the section of books on trauma, grieving, and healing.  A lot of those were recommended by you.  But on the top shelf, I saw a little purple velour book with silver foil writing, titled Happiness.  It was a birthday gift from you the year I was trying to make peace with divorce.  Inside, in your artistic, miniscule handwriting, you'd written a wish for "making my dreams my future days."  Words inscribed for eternity by a hand that's not here to share its words with me anymore.

I also rearranged my love board - a few old things taken down, a few new things pinned up.  For the past nearly four years, there's been a letter tucked up near the bottom.  You felt badly for sending a format letter instead of personalized notes to each of us, and apologized for your exhaustion as you battled your disease the first time.  You expressed your deep gratitude for our love, our taxi services, our presence at appointments, our slumber party "dates," our gifts, our care for Bella.  You thanked God for the gift of life.

It disorients me a thousand times over to read your words.  Your energy is so present when I see and touch these things.

If I had to pick a time to grieve, it would be summertime.  The warmth, the sunshine, the fresh air - it's easier to find joy in the moments.  It's easier to forget for a while. 

Now, autumn is coming...a season of settling, of darkening, of closure.  On Labor Day, my mom handed me an envelope of newly developed pictures to see.  Among several others, it held pictures of two events that stood out to me in their contrast: pictures of me graduating, and a picture of me as I left to sing at your funeral.  I'm the same confident, poised Amanda in both.  I'm wearing the same wide, beautiful smile. 

Just don't look at my eyes.  The elation set against the sadness - I can barely look at myself.  My broken heart is tangible, I would imagine even to a stranger.  Taken not even two months apart, the photos don't even look like the same woman to me.

I had two girlfriends over to my home for the first time on Friday.  It started out by looking for a certain goofy picture of my dog (with a popcorn bag stuck over her puppy-head) and morphed into trying to find the one remaining comedic, drunken picture from my wedding.  Laughter, stories, wine, good food...

and the evening froze when I turned the page of my photo album to photos of you, Bella, and myself, on the nights I used to watch her while you finished your life coach certification.  Three gorgeous years before you got sick, while leukemia was still a foreign word to you, you sit on your red velour couch in the little upstairs apartment on 4th Street, contentedly gazing at me in the dim lamplight with Bella zonked out on your lap.  At four years old, she's so tiny, so innocent.  My face is chubbier, but younger and brighter - not nearly so lined and tired-looking.  Your hair is still blond, your skin has color, your body isn't swollen and bruised.  You radiate health and contentment. 

We both had such different dreams, ideas, and plans for our lives back then.  Where we are today...who could have imagined?  Who would have wanted to?

I turned a few more pages.  I found the picture you sent me of yourself and Roberto, the two of you glowing as you snuggled a brand-new, 6 pound Bella.  I returned to my shelves and pulled out the album of our time in Italy. There were no words, and I couldn't stop looking.  It's still sitting open on my dining room table; I can't put it away.  Not yet.

Kelly and Mel honored my silence.  They let me have my moment, and joined me in gazing on my memories with reverence and love.

I sat in lecture yesterday feeling pretty good at first - I knew I'd just aced our first quiz.  The day's chapter covered bone structure and function, and honestly, I feel like I should have been ready for what was coming.  I ought to have expected the heavy, I-can't-breathe feeling that descended over me as my professor explained how red bone marrow resides in spongy bone, how the trabeculae protect the precious blood-growing tissue. 

The last time I cried in this class, it was 2001 and we were discussing sub-arachnoid hemorrhages.  I cried the day we discussed aortic dissection, too.  I remember sharing this with you, how grief could steal up on me in the middle of a biology lecture, two years later.  How the tears came in the most unexpected and inopportune moments.  You helped me know I wasn't crazy, that this was part of the process that I would always and ever be learning how to navigate.

I just never could have imagined this, today.  Here I sit at work, unable to focus enough to study until I write what I need to write, crying in yet another disadvantageous place - and really wishing I could talk with you about it.  Intellectually, I know this is "normal" and that I ought not to judge myself, because every grieving journey takes its own path.  Emotionally, it's a different story.  This won't ever feel "normal" or "ok."  I accept that, but it sure doesn't make it easier.  The memories are everywhere - you are everywhere - and I'll process some of those moments here, because you and others have helped me to know that giving space to the heartache, giving voice to the process, is the only way we heal.

5 comments:

  1. If your dear friend were here today I would give her a hug and kiss, for she has given me a truly treasured friend who loves openly and with all of her heart. You are fearless and protective of those around you. I admire that but mostly, I admire your ability to express you grief. God know I want to but can't. Please know you are constantly in my prayers and in my heart as we journey through this thing called life. I am a better person because of people like you. Much love, serenity, peace and deep breaths from Roseville...Youre every faithful, Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest Petunia, thank *you* for sharing your dear friend with us. My life is better for having you in it, and I know that a part of you exists the way it does because of her. I know that for me, it sneaks up on me, in the most unpredictable of places

    And as for you, Miss Violet: you do express it, though most would not see it. It's not expressed the same way in which Petunia does it, but it's there. Don't sell yourself short. It's different for each of us...

    Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy it was the two of you who first commented. Violet (Mel), I'm so glad you don't find my sharings overwhelming. So many people, I feel, wish I just wouldn't talk about such things, but I'm so grateful for all my friends who love all of deep, emotional, me, who needs to talk about things. And thank you for always sending me deep breaths. Sharon used to remind us of that all the time; there were two pages in one of her grief books that held just one word: breathe.

    Kelly (Daisy) - thank you for understanding my existence the way you do, and for sharing the process. And thank you for saying to Violet what I was already thinking - we all express our sadnesses in our own way, and Violet, yes, you do too. We see it. "Do not sell yourself short."

    Much love and gratitude to both of you as well ~ Petunia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing memories and feelings of Sharon. I miss her so. Many of the thoughts and images that pop into my head now are still from the hospital. I hope soon images of her in health and full life will replace those painful memories.

    I have been learning more about her as we go through her things. I didn't know how meticulous she was. I am reminded of all that she hoped to do. I see evidence of how hard she worked always to accomplish as much as she possibly could in whatever time she had. She was so thoughtful, so determined, so motivated. I'm so impressed that she had found a way to live in peace even with the conflict between what she wanted to do and what her body allowed her to do.

    I found an entry in one of her notebooks. She wrote " 'she lost her battle with cancer." ' I hope no one ever says that about me. My life has always been about so much more." Reading that I felt good once more about how her funeral turned out. I feel we truly honored and expressed who she was and what she was about.

    She was amazing and I'm so sad that my time of knowing her is over. I hope that I'll be able to develop within myself some of the things I admired so much in her. Sandy Westman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, I too still live in respect and admiration of the attention and intention Sharon gave to the life she wanted to create. I have always felt a bit of that myself, and have felt especially since she left our worldly sight that I've taken that on, as I try to carve a new and often unclear path myself. I am so grateful for her example, and in this way, as I try to live as she did, I feel that she lives on. Let's be sure to visit soon, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.