Two friends, perfectly still and whispering in the darkness around 0300 hrs:
"Amanda?"
"What."
"Do you hear that?"
"Yep."
"What IS it?!?"
"What IS it?!?"
"I don't know!"
(long tense pause)
"Ok I'm turning on the light."
I lean over, flip the switch and there he is: an itty-bitty field mouse, happily rooting through the paper bag that held the spoils of our high-end cheese factory tours. Compassionate souls that we are, we attempted to live trap the little guy so we could set him loose outside, but he was faster than two women in their thirties in the middle of the night after happy hour. He revisited our food stash twice more, scuttling out and back from under the bureau, before we gave up and threw our food away - outside the room.
McMenamin's is a renovated poor farm, made up of numerous, whimsically painted old buildings, including their own spa, distillery, gardens, movie theater, bars, and restaurants. It was an incredible place to spend our days.
After a fabulous breakfast at the Black Rabbit with Kim's sales guys, I drove out to Multnomah Falls to meet Kristiina and Seng, who had road tripped in from Minnesota.
Already tired and not looking forward to an extended evening of flights and connections, I was less than attentive as I drove back toward town. So inattentive, in fact, that I found myself pulled over on an exit ramp in Oregon after being tagged doing 67 in a 50...and in a construction zone.
Instead of $320 for 17 miles over doubled, he dropped my offense to 10 miles over and did me the favor of not doubling the fine. Only $110.
Only. *sigh*
Then Kim's schedule got rearranged, Kris and Seng and Rick and clients all wanted something different, and we didn't know how Amanda was going to get to the airport on time nor be able to pay for a rental car that wasn't in her name without getting charged for a second driver.
In the middle of that, I got the email saying I was accepted into the TC 10-mile this October. Guess I'm going to have to start running seriously again!
I was late to the airport but managed to avoid extra car charges, and did make it to my gate on time. Barely. But only after losing my driver's license (found by someone in line behind me) and forgetting to send my cell phone through the x-ray. This, I learned, earns you another delay while a chemical test of your hands is done to clear you of explosive residue.
The flights were good - my sensitive ear behaved itself and I made my connection without needing to jog through the concourse and with time for a fruit and veg smoothie.
I finally touched down at midnight. Now, my luggage was first broken on the way to Italy six years ago and I've been nursing it along ever since. After this trip, she now sports a hole in the back side and a broken wheel. The ever-fabulous DuBay Airport Taxi Service brought me out to Woodbury to pick up my car from Kim's - and the tire sensor popped on again. Still, it was good to drive familiar streets and a familiar car to a place called home. I finally crawled into bed at 0200...
...and was back to work at 0600. In a way, even that was ok.
Life is crazy sometimes.
But on day one I had a fabulous traditional Scandanavian breakfast, a drive up to Mount Hood, a short hike at Timberline Lodge, a gorgeous drive along the Columbia River gorge, and a delicious dinner with new friends in a tiny little organic restaurant on a small-town street with twinkle-lights in the trees.
On day two I got to drive out to the coast - stopping at every scenic point, every cherry stand, two delicious cheese factories, and finally enjoy a ploughman's platter lunch on the beach with my sweet friend and the local dog. I got to touch live starfish, anemones, and baby hermit crabs, followed by some "treasure" shopping in Copper Beach.
Day three was wandering around downtown Portland all by my happily introverted self. Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell's City of Books, Oblation Papers (such sweet memories of you and Il Papiro, Sharon), Deschutes Brewery, and some exploring on Nob Hill. Then, a fabulous dinner and an evening in the soaking pools back at McMenamin's.
The last day was a bit crazy but I am not complaining.
Travel is fun. It's an experience and a lesson in life that I think everyone should have. I actually loved the Pacific Northwest even more than my lovely Colorado, and California has nothing on these beaches. I can easily picture myself living here.
On the other hand, sometimes it takes going away from home, seeing the beauty and excitement of other places, to see how great your own city really is. There's something to be said for routine and familiarity, and it takes spending that time alone in a strange new place to realize it's the people in your life who make you want to come back home.
McMenamin's is a renovated poor farm, made up of numerous, whimsically painted old buildings, including their own spa, distillery, gardens, movie theater, bars, and restaurants. It was an incredible place to spend our days.
After a fabulous breakfast at the Black Rabbit with Kim's sales guys, I drove out to Multnomah Falls to meet Kristiina and Seng, who had road tripped in from Minnesota.
Already tired and not looking forward to an extended evening of flights and connections, I was less than attentive as I drove back toward town. So inattentive, in fact, that I found myself pulled over on an exit ramp in Oregon after being tagged doing 67 in a 50...and in a construction zone.
Instead of $320 for 17 miles over doubled, he dropped my offense to 10 miles over and did me the favor of not doubling the fine. Only $110.
Only. *sigh*
Then Kim's schedule got rearranged, Kris and Seng and Rick and clients all wanted something different, and we didn't know how Amanda was going to get to the airport on time nor be able to pay for a rental car that wasn't in her name without getting charged for a second driver.
In the middle of that, I got the email saying I was accepted into the TC 10-mile this October. Guess I'm going to have to start running seriously again!
I was late to the airport but managed to avoid extra car charges, and did make it to my gate on time. Barely. But only after losing my driver's license (found by someone in line behind me) and forgetting to send my cell phone through the x-ray. This, I learned, earns you another delay while a chemical test of your hands is done to clear you of explosive residue.
The flights were good - my sensitive ear behaved itself and I made my connection without needing to jog through the concourse and with time for a fruit and veg smoothie.
I finally touched down at midnight. Now, my luggage was first broken on the way to Italy six years ago and I've been nursing it along ever since. After this trip, she now sports a hole in the back side and a broken wheel. The ever-fabulous DuBay Airport Taxi Service brought me out to Woodbury to pick up my car from Kim's - and the tire sensor popped on again. Still, it was good to drive familiar streets and a familiar car to a place called home. I finally crawled into bed at 0200...
...and was back to work at 0600. In a way, even that was ok.
Life is crazy sometimes.
But on day one I had a fabulous traditional Scandanavian breakfast, a drive up to Mount Hood, a short hike at Timberline Lodge, a gorgeous drive along the Columbia River gorge, and a delicious dinner with new friends in a tiny little organic restaurant on a small-town street with twinkle-lights in the trees.
On day two I got to drive out to the coast - stopping at every scenic point, every cherry stand, two delicious cheese factories, and finally enjoy a ploughman's platter lunch on the beach with my sweet friend and the local dog. I got to touch live starfish, anemones, and baby hermit crabs, followed by some "treasure" shopping in Copper Beach.
Day three was wandering around downtown Portland all by my happily introverted self. Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell's City of Books, Oblation Papers (such sweet memories of you and Il Papiro, Sharon), Deschutes Brewery, and some exploring on Nob Hill. Then, a fabulous dinner and an evening in the soaking pools back at McMenamin's.
The last day was a bit crazy but I am not complaining.
Travel is fun. It's an experience and a lesson in life that I think everyone should have. I actually loved the Pacific Northwest even more than my lovely Colorado, and California has nothing on these beaches. I can easily picture myself living here.
On the other hand, sometimes it takes going away from home, seeing the beauty and excitement of other places, to see how great your own city really is. There's something to be said for routine and familiarity, and it takes spending that time alone in a strange new place to realize it's the people in your life who make you want to come back home.
People matter I <3 you!
ReplyDelete