Friday, January 16, 2015

Dreaming of a Little Boy

We have another rider today, and his name is Soren.  I like names, especially uncommon ones, so I looked it up.  The Danes and Norwegians spell it "Søren, whereas the Swedes and the Germans spell it "Sören."  It actually descends, though, from the Latin "Severus," which means, "severe, strict, serious."
(And Severus comes from Harry Potter, which makes it automatically cool, but I digress...)
The meaning doesn't resonate so much with me, but I really like the name.  I have three of those four heritages, but I prefer the umlaut spelling.  I asked our student if he knew why his parents chose the name and he rolled his eyes saying, "Yeah, my dad's into the Swedish thing."  I asked if they had used the Anglicized spelling and he started to smile a little: "I spell it like this (points to his jacket, at the use of the "o" with no markings) but when my dad writes it out he puts the dots over the 'o.'"  I told him I thought it was pretty cool, which made the poor kid blush.
I don't kid myself anymore about what dreams for my life will or won't be, but just for a while this morning, I'm dreaming of a little boy named Sören.  I wonder what he would look like, how he would smile, how his giggle would sound.  I wonder if I'll ever get to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.