Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Walmart and school buses

Paused in a Walmart aisle, thinking about whether or not to buy a day-old loaf of organic walnut bread, an older man in a motored cart touched my arm as he drove past and asked if I could help him with something. As I placed the three heavy jugs of water in his basket, he looked up at me with sad, teary eyes and said, "Don't ever get old. Thank you so much, young lady." I placed my hand on his shoulder and said, "You're so very welcome."

Was it a smile I didn't know I was wearing? A relaxed or open stance? In the most central place in my heart, I am so glad that something in my demeanor made that man know that he could ask me for help and I would be happy to do it.

Backing up a bit - as I entered today, I remembered that a former co-worker of mine later worked at the deli here. Just a random thought, remembering how long it had been since I'd seen her. Several thought that she was a tough, uncaring lady. I only saw a deeply tired woman who could be interesting, and always enjoyed talking to her.

Guess who said, "Well hello there!" as I was trying to choose soup? We had the greatest conversation; people passing by even smiled at our laughter. I'm left marveling at how the universe is always listening.

On my way home, waiting behind a school bus, I see a group of boys in their early teens pressed against the back window. Once upon a time, I would have been embarrassed by their "I'm-trying-to-impress-my-friends" gestures and would have tried to ignore them. I don't know what has changed in me these days, but today, I blew him a kiss back. He caught it, and then pulled his arm downward in a fist to say, "Yes!" He hi-fived his buddies, and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Do you ever look around and think that life could be okay after all?

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing a school bus filled with goofy teens and pre teen. I love to wave and honk!!! I think it keeps us younger than we are. Sometimes life makes you feel old until you are honking and waving at a school bus!!

    I love reading your blogs because it makes me stop and remember the small things and gives me a smile through out the day.

    THANK!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog, I really think all of that is great, live in the moment sometimes and you will be rewarded greatly! - Kris

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.