Thursday, December 21, 2006

My prayer tonight

Lord,
Today was harder on me than I'd like to admit - but You already know that, don't You? Whether I admit it or not.

You know how I fear the snow. I need my [paid-off] car and cannot afford another single dollar of repair. I fear being injured in an accident again. Thank You for getting me home safely today.

Please watch over the homeless man by the freeway today, and his canine companion who sat loyally by his side in the sleet and snow. I was at work and couldn't cry for them.

Please comfort my patient, who saw the SUV cross the median and in his semi-trailer had no where to go but straight into it. He blames himself for the death and my words felt so inadequate.

I thank you for a partner today who doesn't make fun of my fears and who is also wise enough to drive slowly, understanding that if we don't arrive in one piece, we can't help anybody.

And I thank you for our last patient, who despite a medical history that would have long ago beaten THIS lady down, kept us laughing the entire way to the hospital.

Thank you for my warm house tonight, for this hot cup of coffee, for my long soak in an apple-cinnamon bubble bath, steadily decreasing back pain, and the comfort You give me when I'm questioning my life.

Keep me brave.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.