The other night, I treated a young woman in preterm labor. She was openly frightened and trembling so badly she could hardly shift positions. At one point she shook her head and said, "I wish I knew why I feel like this...since they gave me those three shots...they didn't even tell me what they were." I knew she'd been given nifedipine, terbutaline, and betamethasone, and I tried to come up with a simple way to explain calcium-channel blockers, beta-2 agonists, and corticosteroids.
"Well, bodies have 3 kinds of muscles: the ones in our heart, "outside" ones we can move at will, and "inside" ones, like those in our intestines that move our food through and that make a uterus contract. The first two medicines you were given work to relax our "inside" muscles; your contractions stopped, right?" (An enchanted nod) "But even though they mostly work "inside," they also relax your "outside" muscles a little too, and that's why you're shaky." She was amazed. "That's kinda cool. Why couldn't they tell me that?"
A few minutes later: "So what's in those bags?" (She had LR and penicillin running) "One is an antibiotic, in case your labor was brought on by an infection we don't know about. The other is like water with minerals added. That antibiotic needs to be diluted in the IV fluid, number one. Number two, we have those "inside" muscles in our blood vessels, too. Your blood pressure dropped at the hospital because the medications also relaxed those muscles. That fluid helps fill up your bigger blood vessels to keep your blood pressure up where it should be."
She looked relieved. (Relieved?) "That must be why my hand burns so much." I had noticed she was studying her wrist quite a bit, and now the red lights went off - penicillin shouldn't burn. Sure enough, her IV had infiltrated, and so we had another lesson while I started a new IV.
All of this gifted me with two realizations.
#1 - This is not how medicine should work. Why do patients think they have no right to ask questions? If your IV has been burning since before we left the hospital, tell me - it's my job to fix it! If you want to know which drug you've been given and why, it's my job to tell you that, too! Why have providers forgotten our duty to explain and educate? Instead, we disempower patients and underestimate their capacity to understand. It makes me wonder: is the real problem that we doubt our own knowledge, or capacity to explain?
#2 - I love explaining bodies to people - especially when it involves medications and how they work. I couldn't guess how many calls I've been on in my career, but I realize that those which stand out in memory are those that have involved explaining physiological concepts to patients. That makes me look forward to going to work.
This realization is a gift and a long-awaited answer, I see that, but what about the rest of me? Honestly, do I sing about physiology? I drive through the Cities, searching for Emma and I's new home, and the questions just won't stop. Yes, there is faith, but I'm kinda fed up with patience. What about the big, messy question of my life and how it is best spent?
Ugh. I don't even know what to title this.
If anything ever happens to me...can you be sure to be there....I will definatley need some explaining and honeslty...you do such a great job at it... - Chels
ReplyDeleteMusic Therapist!?!
ReplyDeletegood blog
Luv ya! xo - Scuba Steve
The people I know that are most smart are the ones that can take a very complicated thing (ex. Medical terms) and put them into terms that a 5 year old could understand, but in no way make the person (ex. blondie me!) feel stupid. That is truely great!
ReplyDeleteWhatever you have a passion for go with it. Right now I am very passionate about coffee and my puppy! So that is what I spend my time on right now, and I love it!
You will find your way, you are trusting in the big guy...the one who will make it happen and guide you in the right way.
As usual love reading your blogs! :) - April
I agree...it is more difficult to out medical terms and "BIG words" into simple terms everyone can "get" than to regurgitate (is that how you spell that?) what you've read in a book. I remember "Aunt Pam" telling me that a couple years ago about you. "I like that Amanda can explain it to me in simple word and I understand without making me feel totally stupid." My Mom has said it before too. "Ask Amanda, she'll know and be able to tell us in a way that makes sense." I know others too that always say, "Ask Amanda, call Amanda." Or the more recent, "Amanda has to know what all that means/is because she knows everything about it." So to myself, my family, and my Matthew you are the smart, cute friend that is so nice and awesome! Not to mention, "You're the one who came to see me in the hospital in the ambulance. Mom, I'm rising with Amanda! Amanda's my partner for this game!" Jacob loves you too! - Jean
ReplyDeleteI wanted to say thanks for sharing. A lot of people don't know about there bodies and yes you are right a lot of doctors etc. have forgotten that they need to explain what they are doing for treatment so people don't freak out when they are being treated. I bet that lady was extremely grateful that you were there to explain. - Leah
ReplyDelete