Monday, August 27, 2007

Geese with good taste?

The pond behind my building came with a flock of geese - a nasty bunch. Even I, the middle-of-the-night, any-neighborhood walker, avoid walking when they're around. Tonight they were up on the lawn, squawking, flapping, and scavenging for food scraps. I wasn't craving a walk so I did nothing more than notice them.

I sat down to my piano tonight to release some pent-up emotion and to drown out the sound of stomping, screaming toddlers living above me. I limit my playing to the waking hours, but it's still been a surprise to me that I haven't gotten any complaints. I do use my damper consistently but sometimes the music just takes over: in volume, in intensity - quiet, it is not. I became so involved in my playing that I only stopped, frustrated, when my wrist was aching too badly to continue. I automatically looked to my feet for Emma - she used to lie at my feet and listen intently. Sadly, I noticed how quiet it was. Until I heard a flapping of wings.

The entire flock was perched outside my open window, looking up expectantly. Awesome. Curious. And a little freaky. Who'd have thought that geese would enjoy Tori Amos?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.