Michael is usually sitting in the foyer when I leave for my 7pm-7am shifts.
"Headin' out again, huh?"
"Yeah..."
"No coffee today?"
(with a laugh) "No, I'm going sober today."
"Ok, well, have a good night."
"You too, Michael."
This is where the comedy begins. All summer long, I parked my car in the lot out front - it's a shorter walk and doesn't involve walking through the stinky garage. Now that the weather is colder and my car runs poorly enough already, I've started parking in the garage. I usually make it all the way out the front door before I remember this, and throw a mini-exasperated-fit trying to sort my keys back out, not drop anything, let myself back into the building, and take the elevator down to the garage.
As I'm pressing the lever to open the door to the parking lot, I hear the knowing chuckle behind me. "Are you sure you're out there today?"
I paused, thinking.
He says, "You're downstairs - I saw your car when I came back in this morning."
I chuckled sheepishly. Grinning, he continued, "I just figured I'd save you the argument with yourself today."
I laughed and thanked him, grateful to have been spared a few wasted minutes (when I was already late, as usual) and another day's embarrassment. I was still smiling as I drove to work when I realized why...
I was noticed. Sure, by a lonely older man who sits in the lobby with his cane for company. Sure, maybe for my silly little daily habits and idiosyncracies (like forgetfulness and coffee mugs).
It's a good feeling, to be noticed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.