I would like to face 31 (*sigh* Really? Can it be?) with far more grace, and a lot less fear and disappointment, than I did 30.
I start attending my 7th university on January 12th. I promise myself that when I become tired, challenged, broke, and overwhelmed, when I question what I'm even doing, that I will continue to believe I am worth the effort, and I will not give up on myself, or this degree which I've wanted to complete for so long.
I will no longer view my job as the end-point of my growth in any respect, nor as the end of my opportunities. I will see it, at this time specifically, as perfect! I can survive on my paltry income, I have flexibility with my hours, and the opportunity to study while I earn a living. Answers as to my future will come as I go.
I will get the final 20# of heaviness off my body for new reasons. No longer for a wedding or relationship, because that is based on a love I thought I had to earn with a contrived beauty. No longer for a certain size, because I am two sizes smaller than I'd ever hoped to be. No longer to heal my injuries or because I fear losing my strength - for I am healed. Not to punish my body, but to honor her. I will do it because I would like to deeply enter into and be unrestricted in my new yoga practice. I will listen to her, and keep her in the best health I can.
I will rely less and less on MySpace, Facebook, and e-mail to relate to people I love. I will try to use the phone (please be patient with me). I will ask for love and a listening ear when I need it. I will be this for others when I am able. I will forgive myself when I am not able. I will speak truth into every situation where I am invited in. If I feel that I have to apologize for any of those things, I will honor where I am at and try not to do so. I will rediscover my "no." I will stop doing anything that is unhealthy or unpleasing for Amanda to do.
In matters of love, I will follow the list of rules I read in a hard-hitting book over the weekend*:
I will not go out with a man who hasn't asked me out first.
I will not go out with a man who keeps me waiting by the phone (or by the computer).
I will not date a man who isn't sure he wants to date me.
I will not date a man who makes me feel sexually undesireable.
I will not be with a man who's afraid to talk about our future.
I will not, under any circumstances, spend my precious time with a man who has already rejected me.
I will not be with a man who is not clearly a good, kind, loving person.
Additionally, I will not be with someone who dishonors, disrespects, or objectifies women in any way. I will not be with a man who rejects my faith or my spiritual endeavors. I will not be with a man who discourages me from pursuing my health. I will not go to a sports event with a man who would not go to a Broadway show with me. I will not be with a man who always waits for me to take the lead. I will not be with a man who does not consider me both his equal and his beloved.
I will trust God to be preparing this person, and myself, for each other.
_______________________
*excerpted from "He's Just Not That Into You" by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, pg 153
IN this endeavor...I will support you...encourage you and hold you accountable...if you will do the same for me. I love the message lady...good for you!!!! I am proud of you....I am proud of all of us women who have resolved to not be ignored or invisible anymore. We are beautifully and wonderfully made...and someday...God will bring the man who can walk along side of us. In the mean time...we are getting a life!
ReplyDeleteLove you
L