Friday, June 10, 2011

A roll in the grass

It's payday, and that means errand running.  I had so much to do, five stops minimum, and this on a busy Friday afternoon in the Metro.  After my last stop (Super Target, which I generally hate for its commercialism and crowdedness), I was a bit more relaxed but still anxious to get home to the baking which was waiting for my get together tonight.  Not to mention the workout that needed to be squeezed in.

It's not so unusual in this part of the Metro to pass a number of runners, pedalers, and people walking their dogs.  Coming up Lexington Avenue, I happened to be glancing over toward the lake at the exact moment a big, gorgeous golden retriever, who was on a rather fast-paced walk with his person, stopped dead in his tracks.  First I wondered what he had seen, but then he dropped to the grass, gracefully rolled over onto his back, and proceeded to loll, stretch, laze, and then loll some more.  After a brief look of irritation, his person just started to chuckle, joining me in my laughter as I slowed down to watch. See, this wasn't the kind of rolling a dog does when they find something dead and disgusting to rub around in; this was just sheer, unadulterated joy.  A fluffy, shiny ball of smiling pleasure. (Yes, dogs smile!)

I want to live like this brilliant creature; I want to remember his wisdom.  Stop...just stop...in my busy tracks, drop on to the cool grass without a thought as to my audience, and simply roll around in joy on a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.