On the advice of several running friends, I'd only intended on a single nine-mile long run as part of my training for the big race. Because of recent stressors and the break from running that my yoga vacation would demand, I was doubtful that I'd have either the time or the mental stamina to pull this off. I didn't really believe in myself.
Jen and I planned to meet for our final long run of the season on Saturday. We planned to knock out nine miles, but since neither of us had the presence or peace of mind to actually calculate a route, we just added Lake of the Isles to our seven-or-so mile (we never really figured that out either) Calhoun-Harriet loop. I've written about our connection before, and was reminded again as we ran so comfortably what a blessing it is to share this with someone. I honestly don't know how I ever ran before I ran with friends. As Kim would say, "We solve the world's problems when we run!"
Many things go without saying between Jen and I. I could sense this time was as valuable to her as it was to me, but I didn't know just how much until I made my way to her blog a few days later.
Just tell me a story.
I notice that my profile has received over 100 views in the last few days. *gulp* Hope I don't disappoint! (I'm only a little intimidated. Really. Just a little.)
The miles flew by for me as we ran. I was so enjoying the conversation that I barely felt exerted. I also knew that Kelly, with whom I was spending the rest of the post-run day, was out training for her half-marathon, and we passed her smiling face on our first loop around Isles. All of these new friendships, combined with the knowledge that so many of us are bravely fighting our way through to success, daring to believe in ourselves and our bodies, buoys my hope and my belief in myself in ways I've never known before.
At the end of our run, legs on fire and too out of breath to talk as we approached "The Yellow Sign" on the north shore of Calhoun (Thank You, Lord, we can stop!), I would have to say I felt like the most powerful person in the world. Not only that, but we'd had the gift of both receiving and offering our stories. If there was ever a moment, sprinting as I was on wasted legs, when I thought I could finish a marathon? That was it.
Turns out we'd run 10.6 miles, in 1:43:57 and with only three short water breaks. Holy. Hell. The power of sharing, the power of presence, whether it keeps us focused or keeps us distracted: it's incomparable.
This running/training thing has worked out quite beautifully, with surprisingly little solid planning or strong mental intention on my part. I have worried. I have pushed. I have felt thwarted and I have felt like a failure... and everything has worked out anyway. (I must remember this lesson.) I waited four days to run again and finished seven awful miles today: a looming sinus infection, drizzle, gusting wind, four evil hills and no water.
I leave in the morning for four days of honoring my body and spirit in a place I've always yearned to visit. I am holding the intention for peace, healing, and clarity, and I am SO moved by the many of you who have expressed your excitement for both my experience and for reading the blogs I'm sure to write about it.
I'll do five miles after work on Tuesday, and will maybe do 5K or less either Thursday evening or Friday morning. Actually, maybe I'll just do four miles on Weds and call it good. I have a sports massage scheduled Friday evening and a long rest day on Saturday (not counting packet pickup and the fitness expo) before Sunday's race. I even noticed in my running bag today that I have exactly one energy gel left, the one I will use up for the season on October 2nd.
I must go finish packing and check-in online for my flight now...remembering that everything has worked out just fine. :-)
#LOVE this post. Have a wonderful time and relax - you deserve it! I can't wait to cheer you across the finish line of the 10-mile race. :)
ReplyDelete