Saturday, October 1, 2011

This year

Last year, it wasn't for me.  I was down at the marathon finish line to watch a friend finish his first.  I hadn't been there since 1990, the year my dad last ran.  It was almost an out-of-body experience to be there as an adult, 20 years later.  Nothing looked as I remembered it in my head (did Caribou even exist back then?).

Something got into me that day.  I'd run my little 1/4 mile segments and even made it a mile that one time, and I started to think, "Maybe I could do a 5K come spring.  He can do it; why can't I start?"  If you've ever been around at the finish of a big race, you know how I got motivated.  The energy is palpable.

I ought to be in bed right now, but you know, I've run four races this year (five if you include the informal Do Life run), far surpassing my 3.1 mile goal.  I've learned and know that last night was my night for good sleep - and I got it.  I knew it was good to cut my miles and other cardio this week, even though my legs were twitching for activity.  I knew that last night was the perfect time to get my deep tissue massage, and that today was good for just sauntering and stretching.  Dinner should be light on protein (for me, not other runners) and high on carbs: vegetarian homemade spaghetti. With a piece of garlic toast.  Maybe two.  :)

I'm more prepared for this race than any before it: packet already picked up, outfit set out, body rested and fueled, spectators advised and already sleeping themselves.

It feels so weird to be the one being cheered for this year.  I'm stunned at the time that has passed and how far I've come in that time.  I am so fortunate, and I have the absolute BEST circle of supportive, encouraging friends ever.  I love you all so much.

Sending endless gratitude to my dear ones, and the best of intentions to all my fellow runners tomorrow at races near and far: Florida, Maine, marathoners, 10-milers, and today's 10K-ers.  May we fly!

2 comments:

  1. You did great! I was cheering you on from dreamland after my 10pm race last night! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.