This morning was a time of facing - literally, turning my face toward - some feelings and sights and triggers that on most days, I avoid. I was determined not to hide or run today - I wanted to process and understand. I wanted to let feelings come and not turn away.
When I got in my car to meet Mel and Kris for breakfast, very unusually, I clicked my iPod to the songs listed under the artist with my own name. They are the songs I put on the CD for Sharon, but I have probably only let myself listen to these songs two or three times since recording them four and a half years ago. Not because they bring back memories of her suffering or of my grieving, but because of how hard it is to listen to myself.
I rarely, rarely allow myself to listen to any of my own recordings. I never have, not since I first started singing almost 35 years ago. The judgment I heap upon myself is massive. MASSIVE. I judge every pitch, every consonant, every vowel. I criticize my control, my tone, my emotionality and/or my lack thereof. It's shame that I feel - but why?
They are raw recordings - three songs put together in one four hour session. One of them is a very crude analog to digital conversion of a live performance at church. There's only one Auto Tuned note and minimal production or engineering; Zach worked miracles with commercial accompaniment tracks.
He also worked miracles with me: after a flawless performance, which he recorded successfully, he said to me, "That was beautiful. In fact it was perfect. Now go back in the studio and sing it for your friend."
I remember saying, "I can't."
His response: "Then why are you here?"
I went back in and started over.
I terrified to be recording that day. I'd never done anything like it before. I was afraid to bare my heart.
I was afraid to be good.
Every time I've listened, I have felt that familiar shame - shame that I'm not perfect, that I'm not famous, that I'm not using or making a living with what I was given.
I wasn't afraid to hear myself today - my greatness or my imperfection. I actually heard more than the mistakes and the wavers and the mis-timings. I heard a really amazing recording, a gorgeous voice, a woman stepping out of her comfort zone, daring to let her love be heard.
I am so glad I did that. For Sharon. For me.
When I read the title it made me think of the song 'Hurt' covered by Johnny Cash... the lyrics are "I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel...." Anyway, this feels like a proud moment, so I want you have joy in that, but the song I was thinking of is a bit melancholy so I just want you to know I understand the irony. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/hurt.html
ReplyDelete