I was standing in the spice aisle, searching hopefully for a smaller container of lemon pepper than the one I'd found, when I heard, "Excuse me, ma'am?"
He was a simply but cleanly dressed (why does this matter?) black (or this?) man. Humble eyes, soft speech. I looked at him inquisitively.
"I wonder if you could help me buy some lunch today?"
I've never been approached like this before, not in a Target and out of nowhere. But it was something about the way he asked.
I asked him, "What did you have in mind?" (I was actually thinking I'd walk to the in-store café with him.)
He looked down and said, "Maybe $5?"
I almost never have cash on me, but Erin and I had a garage sale yesterday, so today I had a tidy sum. Plenty of judgmental things came to mind, such as, "He doesn't look homeless," and, "I wonder what he's really going to spend this on?"
But then I thought, here I am filling a cart with food for one person - healthy and somewhat expensive food at that - and I'm debating lemon pepper, of all things. I made some extra money yesterday, and I make some extra money singing today. I work an overtime shift tomorrow. My mom filled my gas tank last week - and put some money on my Starbucks card - just to do something nice for me when she knew I was sad.
Let's be real - I have plenty. Most days it doesn't feel like it, most likely because I grew up without a lot and still make do without a lot, but I do have plenty. In fact I'm writing this outside the coffee shop where I just paid $4 for the cold-press coffee I'm drinking, and the ability to use the internet.
Perspective.
I had a five, and I gave it to him. I watched him disappear around the corner into the bread/granola bar aisle.
Here's what I'd like to think: I was dressed pretty simply myself - just my old, somewhat stained capris (sale at Kohl's), tank top (sale at Target), and sandals. No make up (as usual), hair in a messy bun (also as usual). With my cart of vegetables, beans, some chicken, and looking at spices, maybe I looked like I appreciated simple, good food - and I sure do. Maybe I looked kind and approachable. Maybe, to the eyes of those who truly go without, I even looked wealthy. Maybe all that calmness that so many tell me I exude makes me more easily approachable.
Maybe he was just desperate. I don't know. But I'd like to think that something about me told him I was safe, kind, and someone he could ask for help.
I've been taking a sort of Facebook vacation lately, a vacation from unneeded reminders, drama, repetition and ridiculousness, and I don't share publicly all that I write. But before I get on my expensive bike and head to my yoga studio for class (a sure luxury, albeit a very affordable one) this felt important to share. There is much I want to change, but we could all do with a little more gratitude, and I'm appreciative of a chance encounter that shifted my perspective.
God knows your kind heart and sent a soul in need your way. And you (unlike many who may not have) rose to the occasion beautifully. :)
ReplyDeleteThe best part about acts like yours is that the receiving goes both ways. <3
ReplyDelete