Milwaukee, where I was supposed to be tonight, didn't happen; PTO is an impossibility these days. Rather than sit at home feeling angry and disappointed, I bought a ticket to see the Vienna Boys Choir at the Basilica.
There, tonight, I found myself thinking of my maternal great-grandmother, Mary Julia, my ancestor from Austria. I don't know the full details of the story, but before she came to America, by herself, as a teen, she sang for royalty on the banks of a river in Germany or Austria...somewhere around there.
I can only think of one distant aunt who might still know the full story, which I should really like to know in its entirety. I sat there, in this space that is to me so reminiscent of Europe, carrying with me a voice - her voice - that has found a welcome home here, and wished deeply that I'd known her. She is where this piece of me comes from; am I like her in any other way? How I wish I could have heard her sing; how I wish I could have heard her daughter, my grandmother Avis, sing. I wish I could see, in my lifetime, that place so far away where she sang. As I watched the choir I kept thinking, "Home. They are from home."
I don't know what this home looks like, and I don't know what they sound, smell, or taste like.
Maybe they would feel no different; once you have traveled far in your soul, home is inside you, not out there, right? But I want to feel it, there.
I surveyed these beautiful young men. I wondered if I could be looking at family. I felt like I was looking at children that could be my own, and I wondered which would be mine. The confident, dark-haired soloist? The dutiful, be-speckled blonde who also served as page turner to the pianist? The also-instrumentalist who picked up the drums for several pieces?
I was sandwiched between couples tonight. Fittingly, there was one empty seat in my row - the one right beside me. (It was better than being sandwiched between the two hugely pregnant women during last week's Magnum Chorum concert.) I feel this often, but tonight I felt so achingly and acutely the absence of my imagined family. I felt so closely the absence of a partner, one with whom to share the beauty of this music, one with whom to bring this long-imagined child into being.
What does he look like? What is his story? Which child would be ours? Would my son also carry forward Mary Julia's voice? Or perhaps a trait of his father's ancestors?
I couldn't bring myself to approach St. Anne tonight; I didn't want to mar another evening with my tears. Perhaps she could hear my heart.
What does he look like? What is his story? Which child would be ours? Would my son also carry forward Mary Julia's voice? Or perhaps a trait of his father's ancestors?
I couldn't bring myself to approach St. Anne tonight; I didn't want to mar another evening with my tears. Perhaps she could hear my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.