Thursday, January 18, 2007

"Get rid of the tree!"

"Get rid of the tree! Dangerous! (insert goofy tongue-out face) Dad "

That was the note on my kitchen counter when I got home today. I thought I had kept my Christmas tree up because I liked looking at the lights, chasing each other in the dark before I go to bed. And I thought correctly...somewhat. Knowing Dad was right and wanting some light activity when I hurt too badly to work out, I thought, "Hey, I'll take out the tree and reorganize the living room!"

As I took my ornaments off......then the garland......finally the lights......I was overcome with sadness. Having learned this last year how important it is to just STOP and acknowledge how I'm feeling, I sat on the couch and tried to let it arrive. It didn't take long:

This is the last Christmas I'll have in my home. Next year I'll most likely be living in an apartment where I can't have a real tree. My dog won't be there to chase the garland or eat the pine needles. I won't have my oak bannister or fenceposts and stoop to decorate. It's not even gone yet. And I miss it.

So I moved nearly everything out of the living room that will go with him. The room is much sparser and devoid of Christmas decorations. But this is how my future home, where- and whenever it will be, will look like. Might as well learn to like it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.