Sunday, March 4, 2007

Gratitude offering

The closing speaker at my work conference yesterday spoke about living a full life as a quadriplegic after a car accident. One way she does this is by keeping a gratitude journal. I related because I also, before I lie down at night, try to give pause for every gratitude that I can think of. Days like yesterday I don't do so well - exhaustion after a long, stormy workweek, followed by a failing broadband connection that kept me from checking the conference start time, ending with a lost diamond ring from my mother. Driving home, I decided that trying my gratitudes on paper might help.

I am grateful...for the new things I learned at the conference today.
...for better weather so I didn't miss the second day too.
...for a wonderful neighbor who snow-blew my driveway after both storms.
...that my accident did not leave me a quadriplegic.
...for Chad's question about medical school that challenged my thinking during the sessions.
...for time with my friends Karen & Chelsea, and a delicious dinner with Lorrie.
...for a little extra money to splurge at Godiva!
...for words in a book - "No excuses" - that came exactly when I needed them.
...for Dan giving me music and borrowing me a movie he thought I'd like.
...for parents who cared for my dog for 8 days while I lived away from home.
...for a repaired broadband connection once I got home.
...for mail that included an invitation to godbabies Spencer & Megan's 2nd birthday party - born at 23 weeks and given no chance of survival.
...for lavender baths and luscious new 350-thread count sheets.
...for the gorgeous blue glow coming through my window.
...for, after searching my entire house, finding my ring 2 seconds after I lowered my head and asked God to show me where I'd dropped it...about a foot from where I was standing.
...and finally, for neighbor kids who helped me nab Emma, who was busy figuring out how to climb over a fence while I was typing this blog @^&$%...

3 comments:

  1. I don't write out gratitude as much as I should, but I do agree that it's a great thing. After about a week ago being let go of from my job, knowing that it's only days before my roommate moves to Texas and not knowing when my boyfriend can come back from Mexico it gets a bit hopeless, but then I remember my mom would give thanks each day for what she had even at some very low points in her life she always found a way to give thanks.

    So I always think about having a nice home to live in

    Having my silly cats who always come to cuddle up at the perfect time when I need it.

    Now having a little puppy who will cheer me up at well.

    Being able to call my roommate when he goes to Texas and calling my BF even though he's in Mexico we are still connected.

    Having friends both here to chat with and friends that call just to say hello :)

    And even though I lost my larger income job I still have Starbucks and can savor a coffee each day that I go in to work and not pay 6$ for a mocha :) Ha ha...that is the funniest one to me.

    And above all I have someone like you who reminds me of my mom, and how I can be greatful that I have my life , and happy memories always.

    Thanks again for a good reminder :)
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Greatful for:
    having a friend like you!!!
    great blog!!! - Scuba Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Bug!
    I'm grateful for late-night coffee and chats at Perkins! - Jean

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.